Friday, June 18, 2010

Lookville, Lookbook and Chictopia

I have registered for Lookville and Chictopia, but not Lookbook.
If you don't already know, they are online communities for fashion enthusiasts to post photos of outfits and fashion inspirations. It's a great and easy way to express your fashion sense and to be recognized as a fashion guru.
They all are after the same thing, to enable fashionistas to present themselves online, but each site is a bit different.


Lookville is still in BETA (testing).
It's more like a site where you can upload photos of your outfit and ask questions or suggestions from other users.
I find this really helpful because you don't have to be SUPER fashionable. The community is there to provide you with answers and give fashion advices.
If I didn't know what to wear with my boots, I would post a picture of my boots and ask, "What can I pair this with?"
I got some really friendly and useful advices. The users are very nice and provide solutions to fashion crisis. You'll get an answer within few hours. 
(Francesco Artibani from http://www.fashionsavesyou.net/)



Chictopia has been around for a while providing fashionistas an outlet to show off their fashion sense.
A lot of well known bloggers (Blonde Salad, Style Scrapbook, the Haute Pursuit)use the site to express their individuality.
The site is not to look for an advice or suggestions from other users. If you are new to the site, you won't get too many feebacks, since there are so many users already registered.
It's more like a site where you can upload your pics to get compliments and advertise your style as well as your blog. 
You can also collect Chicpoints everytime you log in, post pics, or comments to get free item of clothing from their website.

Lookbook is only available by invitation.
Not everyone can freely register, you have to be recommended by already registered LookBook members. I would say the site is more exclusive to top fashionsitas or well recognized bloggers.
Unlike Lookville and Chictopia, the pictures posted up in LookBook resembles that of an amateur artwork or a photographic work. The photos are not only full shot of the outfit, but they capture the mood and the atmosphere of the setting that corresponds to the outfit. In other words, it's probably best that you have someone else take a picture of you with a really good/professional camera.
The pictures are really good quality and Lookbook is a source for people looking for fashion inspiration.
I hate to say this, but Jane Aldridge of (Sea of Shoes blog) who just graduated high school, got to design for Urban Outfitters, did a photo shoot with Vanity Fair, featured in many fashion magazines and has a unique eye for fashion. Also she is a known user of LookBook.

This is what I THINK, so if I got it wrong feel free to politely correct me.
So I hope this helps for people who are new to fashion blogging as I.
If there are other online communities I should check out, please let me know. 
Leave a comment on this post or email me at monm.kim@gmail.com~

Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. monica great blog
    I will keep reading it ~
    argh i want to get into lookbook !!
    i have an account in chictopia do you?
    xx
    vnikali

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?