Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Returning to blog

Do you ever notice when you have to re-word/re-phrase something because potential employers or your cousin might see it on Facebook? What you really want to say doesn't get heard? For some reason, venting your problems to your boyfriend, friends or on a diary is not enough. You want the entire audience of internet users. I had feelings like those several times this month or the past month or since forever. I am going to bitch about whatever I want whenever I want in a blog format. 

I've had a fair share of disappointments and rejections in my life career-wise. Job hunting is a bitch, especially in Vancouver where over-qualified, over-educated individuals are under-paid. I found a lot of places where they are paying a receptionist $12-$13/ hour and expect to have a receptionist skilled and experienced for 3-5+ years. I've always imagined or appropriated the image of a front desk personnel to be one of those inefficient old ladies who take forever to finish the job or someone who'll put everyone on the phone on hold until she finishes filing her acrylic nails. I am neither one of those described characters and still having a bitch of a time finding a decent job to pay my bills. I've been to countless (useless) career counselling sessions, workshops and informative websites. 

Well, over the years I learned many interviewers ask questions that they print off of a career website to ask regardless if they cared or not to get the answer from you. In Richmond, especially. I've had to travel far far distances to get to some interviews. I'm not talking about Richmond as in nearby Canada Line, No. I had to take the skytrain to farthest reaches of Richmond and take another 30-min bus ride and walk another 0.9km (according to my handy google map) across the highway intersection. I've had interviewers who even had trouble phrasing their questions articulately even with a fucking stack of sheets with a fuckload of generic questions in front of them. And in my head I'm thinking, "Are you fucking kidding me? I have to work for YOU?" Companies in Richmond (small companies) will pay just over minimum wage or less than what I fucking earn at a retail store for a "PROFESSIONAL ADMINISTRATOR." What? you're offering me $12/hour? Seriously? And mention that I don't have enough office experience? Oh do I need experience to answer your calls and take messages for you? and photocopy papers? Yes I do have one-year worth of experience. Really. I don't need to do learn how to do that shit for 3 years. You wanted someone with a college degree, REMEMBER? 

Thankfully, I had an interview with an organization full of competent and well-articulated interviewers today. They made me feel I wanted to work somewhere professional enough not to waste my time. They, in fact, didn't waste my time. They were very brief and sincere and offered me for a second interview. They didn't wait a million days to call me back for a second interview. I'm excited. Genuinely excited for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?